Code Enforcement Department
The Code Enforcement Department enforces specific Walton County adopted rules and regulations as set forth in the Code of Ordinances for the unincorporated areas of the county ranging from land development and land use regulations to codes governing such things as junk, debris, building without permits, etc.
County Code Enforcement (850) 622-0000
The goal is to educate the public about the codes and ordinances and to obtain “voluntary compliance” on all issues through a professional, courteous manner, with a focus on providing positive customer service to all citizens and bring existing properties into compliance with applicable codes.
Beach Code Enforcement (850) 267-4578
- Handles codes governing beach activities such as “Leave No Trace”, turtle lighting, beach vending, etc.
- Ordinance No. 2016-16: It shall be unlawful for any person to leave an item of personal property on the beach between one hour after dusk and one hour after sunrise, unless a permit has been granted by Walton County.
- Report nesting or hatching sea turtles by calling Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission at 1-888-404-FWCC.
Other Issues Not Covered Under Code Enforcement
- Parking, Traffic, Noise: Sheriff’s Office (850) 892-8111
- Offshore/water Violations, Nuisance Animals and Wildlife, Report Nesting or Hatching Sea Turtles: Fish and Wildlife Commission 1-888-404-FWCC
- Building Codes/Active Permitted Construction Issues: Building Department (850) 892-8160
- Septic Tanks, Unmaintained Pools: Department of Health (850) 892-8031
- SW Mosquito Control (850) 267-2112
Code Enforcement Policy
To educate the public about the Land Development Code; To obtain Voluntary Compliance through a professional and courteous manner; To provide positive customer service to all citizens; To bring properties into compliance with applicable codes and ordinances.
Code Enforcement Fact Sheet
Mission: “To protect property values, natural resources and ensure safe conditions by enforcing Walton County Codes and Ordinances.”
- The Code Enforcement Department enforces Ordinances for the unincorporated areas of Walton County ranging from land development and land use regulations to codes governing such things as junk, debris, building without permits, etc. The goal is to educate the public about the codes and ordinances and to obtain “voluntary compliance” on all issues through a professional, courteous manner, with a focus on providing positive customer service to all citizens and bringing existing properties into compliance with applicable codes and ordinances.
- Code Enforcement Officers and the Code Enforcement Board, are administrative entities for Walton County with authority to impose administrative fines and other non-criminal penalties to provide equitable, effective, and inexpensive methods of enforcing codes and ordinances.
- Florida State Statute, Chapter 162 authorizes Code Inspectors to initiate enforcement proceedings through:
- Notice of Violation to the property owner giving him or her a reasonable time to correct the violation.
- Notice of Hearing before a Code Board when compliance cannot be gained voluntarily in a reasonable time period
- Stop Work Order when a major violation is committed such as land clearing without permits, wetland violations, and non-permitted building activity. Florida Statute requires due process and timely notification of hearings.
- To File a Complaint call (850) 622-0000
- The complainant must provide their name, address, contact information, and detailed information about the complaint including location address and property owner.
- An inspection of the site is conducted to determine if a violation exists; if no code violation is found, the case is closed.
- If the complaint is valid, the notification process begins- usually a verbal communication with the violator to educate them of the ordinances and corrective action.
- The case will remain open until compliance is achieved, voluntarily or through Code Board action.
- What Code Enforcement cannot do:
- Code Enforcement is not a “first responder” -if an emergency exists call 911
- Parking issues and civil issues
- Breach of peace noise violations
- Contact Information:
Phone – (850) 622-0000