Special Needs Preparation
Families who have members with special needs must take extra measures to ensure their preparedness. The following are suggestions from the American red Cross and FEMA:
- Families with special needs must ask themselves the following questions:
- Can we manage the needs of our family for three days with little or no help?
- Can we meet any crisis or emergency on our own for that period of time?
- Can we make decisions concerning our special needs without consultation or help for three days?
- Do we have the supplies and equipment to meet our special needs for three days?
- For respirators, other electric-dependent medical equipment or oxygen, make prior arrangements with your physician or check with your oxygen supplier about emergency plans.
- Two-week stock of disposable supplies needed for your medical condition.
- Two-week supply of all medications, prescription and non-prescription drugs.
- Electrical backup for medical equipment.
- Copies of prescriptions for medical equipment, supplies, and medications. Also, contact lenses and supplies, extra eyeglasses and batteries for hearing aids.